3 Causes of Electrical Fires and How to Prevent Them in Your Hillsborough, FL Home
For many people, their home is a safe haven where they feel protected and comfortable. Preventing electrical fires in Hillsborough, FL, as well as other damage caused by electrical equipment, is important for protecting your valuables, health, and loved ones. Below, you will find some key suggestions as to what you can do to reduce the risk of electrical fires in your home.
Check Your Outlets
Old, outdated, or untested electrical outlets that have a faulty connection can cause a fire. It is important that whenever you carry out remodeling work, you get a professional electrical contractor to install your new outlets professionally. You might think that it is an easy job, but you might not be able to select the right outlet for the appliance voltage and capacity that you are going to use. Whenever you notice loose plugs or broken plates, contact a professional.
Test or Replace Your Extension Cords
It is always better to use professionally installed wall plug outlets rather than multiple extension cords. If you need more outlets than your permanent one provides, however, you can change to a plug-in adapter, instead of using extension cords that can cause trip hazards and break more easily. Broken cords can distribute a spark any time and cause a fire in your home.
Ask for a Wiring Inspection
When you live in an old house, you might want to get an electrical inspection so you can prevent faults and health hazards. Chances are that the wiring is not designed to power multiple appliances at the same time. If you are lucky, you can get away with the fuse tripping, but, if there are broken or worn out wires in the wall, you will have a more serious problem to deal with.
If you suspect that your electrical wiring or outlets are not working properly or have suffered water or physical damage, you should contact Luminous Electric and book an inspection. Call us at to reach our Manatee/Sarasota office.