DIY Electrical Work: Why Tampa Homeowners Should Avoid it at all Costs

Doing your own electrical work might seem like a good way to save money, but it could end up costing you more. Selling your St. Petersburg, Florida, home could be difficult since you’ll need to comply with local building codes. You could even have to get your work redone by an expert like the ones at Luminous Electric. DIY electrical work can cause fires, electric shocks, and high energy bills as well, so you should always avoid it.


Faulty wiring can cause circuits to overload, leading to overheating and sparks around flammable materials like insulation and drywall. Working with multiple electrical devices, components, and wiring can be complicated. Just one bad connection or wire in the wrong place could cause extensive damage and even put your family in danger.

Electric Shocks

An electrical shock at almost any voltage can be deadly, and electricians go through years of training to work on your wiring safely. Letting the wrong wires touch each other, forgetting to turn off the electricity, or putting an outlet or switch too close to a shower or sink could lead to severe damage or injuries.

High Energy Bills

Bad wiring wastes power, and it can often keep your appliances from working correctly. For example, a thermostat that’s connected incorrectly could keep the rest of your system on when you turn off the fan. It could also activate your heater and air conditioner at the same time. Improper wiring can cause flickering lights, malfunctioning outlets or switches, and damage to your electronics as well. Even if the job seems small, the energy savings from contacting a professional can save you hundreds of dollars per year. You also won’t have to worry about damage to your home and appliances.

Luminous Electric can help you comply with current building codes and keep your family safe. We can work on new construction and assist you with repairs as well. For outstanding service, call us anytime.

Similar Posts